In 1574, the Laguna de la Feria [the Lagoon of the Fair] became a public space, and when two Roman columns, with Hercules and Julius Caesar standing on their capitals were placed at its southern end, it became known as Alameda de Hércules [Hercules Boulevard]. In 1765 two new columns supporting two lions with the coats of arms of Spain and Seville were placed at its northern end.
The whole renovation has been tinted with colours that recall albero*.
360 new trees have been planted to emphasize the boulevard between the two pairs of columns. The area for vehicular circulation is limited to give priority to pedestrians and to the terraces for the bars.
Paved with double-rhomboid shaped paving stones, the grass grows, seasonally, in the joints between them.
Bollards sprout with the extrusion of six paving stones.
The columns with their pedestals emerge whole as the topography around them is modified. New gentle slopes improve the views of open-air performances.
Two existing and very recent kiosks are accompanied by other similar ones with triangular plans that do not turn their backs on the buildings behind them.
Pergolas over concrete T-sections give shelter to the benches; also accompanying the existing kiosks.
Water spray escapes from the joints between the enamelled paving of three stains in blue and white.
The "flamenco and bull-fighter corner" gathers the statues of well-loved personalities from the neighbourhood.
Staffs, bollards and trees order this large space that is flanked by a diversity of architectures.
(The renovation of this large public living room can seem to be the result of the energetic work of a team of street cleaners who have laid a new carpet with water stains, and placed new furniture on top).
*Albero is a yellowish sand traditionally used in bullfighting rings and gardens in Andalusia (translator's note).